My blog about my wargaming activities. I collect a lot of 15mm miniatures for the American War of Independence and so collect a lot of rules for this period. I started miniatures with Napoleonics, so I have a number of armies in 6mm and 15mm figures for skirmishing. I have15mm WW II figures that I use for Flames of War, Memoir '44, and someday, Poor Bloody Infantry. Finally there is my on-again, off-again relationship with paper soldiers that I sometimes write about.

Thursday, February 09, 2012

Baccus 6mm Napoleonic Brunswickers

Welcome to new reader 'baxterilius' (Craig Baxter). Hope you enjoy the blog. Not "all Flames of War, all the time", but it stays in my rotation. (To be honest, I sometimes envy those that stick with only one or two periods.)

So Baccus Miniatures has started shipping their new Brunswick line of Napoleonic figures! When I played Column, Line, and Square as a kid, one of my friends had all of the Brunswick troops painted up. It was a nice, compact Division and made for a nice separate command. Seeing as these figures look just great, I decided it was time to get my own Brunswick command for Drums and Shakos Large Battles (DSLB).


I started by looking up their order of battle for Waterloo and found that I would need the following.

Brunswick Division at Waterloo
CommandUnitMenFiguresPacks
Advance GuardJager Battalion69096 + 16RSA12 1 x 1, NBU5 x 1
Light BrigadeLeib Light Battalion56596 + 4NBU1 x 2
1st Light Battalion68896 + 4NBU3 x 1, NBU4 x 1
2nd Light Battalion62196 + 4NBU3 x 1
3rd Light Battalion69196 + 4NBU3 x 1
Line Brigade1st Line Battalion58696NBU3 x 1
2nd Line Battalion50096NBU3 x 1
3rd Line Battalion66796NBU3 x 1
Artillery BrigadeFoot Battery205 and 8 guns8 and 2NBU6 x ½
Foot Battery167 and 8 guns8 and 2NBU6 x ½
Cavalry Brigade2nd Hussars72716 (32 2)NBU5 x 1
Uhlans24616NBU9 x 1

1 I want the battalion in both formed and skirmish order, so I am going to use the 1866 Austrian Jagers for the formed unit.
2 As this is such a large cavalry regiment, I am considering running it as two separate units in DSLB.

For DSLB that will probably make the stats:

UnitQCSkSpecialNotes
Jager Battalion4+42LightThe Jager Battalion can break down into 6 Sk to be distributed amongst the other battalions in the Division.
Leib Light Battalion5+22Conscript, LightGranted a marginal Sk value to represent being better.
1st Light Battalion5+31Conscript, LightNone
2nd Light Battalion5+21Conscript, LightNone
3rd Light Battalion5+31Conscript, LightNone
1st Line Battalion5+20ConscriptNone
2nd Line Battalion5+20ConscriptNone
3rd Line Battalion5+30ConscriptNone
Foot Artillery Battery4+--Medium Artillery, +1 CDBattery has 8 guns
Foot Artillery Battery4+--Medium Artillery, +1 CDBattery has 8 guns
2nd Hussars4+6-NoneLarge unit
2nd Hussars (½ Regiment)4+4-NoneTwo units
Uhlans4+3-LancersSmall unit

As you can see, the troops are actually not all that good. They were conscripted and had little experience. Only the Jagers, cavalry, and artillery had any real experience. Nonetheless they will be easy to paint, have a bit of color (sky blue and yellow looks nice on black) and is a historical Division.


The infantry units will be six bases (even though DSLB only uses four) each of 16 figures (four strips). That makes each battalion 96 figures – an impressive amount of "mass" – which is exactly one Baccus pack. That makes each battalion about $11 (counting shipping). Carrying that forward, that means that a Division of about eight battalions, two cavalry regiments, and a battery of artillery will cost about $100. Although that may sound like a lot, understand that I am using big battalion sizes. In Polemos, Baccus' rules for 6mm, each battalion is one-quarter the size of this, so a Division would be somewhere around $25.

Well, I now all I need to do is pre-order them from Scale Creep Miniatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Blog and Forum Pages

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Huachuca City, Arizona, United States
I am 58 yrs old now. I bought a house in Huachuca City, AZ working for a software company for the last three years. To while away the hours I like to wargame -- with wooden, lead, and sometimes paper miniatures -- usually solo. Although I am a 'rules junkie', I almost always use rules of my own (I like to build upon others' ideas, but it seems like there is always something "missing" or "wrong").