My blog about my wargaming activities. I collect a lot of 15mm miniatures for the American War of Independence and so collect a lot of rules for this period. I started miniatures with Napoleonics, so I have a number of armies in 6mm and 15mm figures for skirmishing. I have15mm WW II figures that I use for Flames of War, Memoir '44, and someday, Poor Bloody Infantry. Finally there is my on-again, off-again relationship with paper soldiers that I sometimes write about.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Trying Something New

As you can guess by the title, I am trying something new. I will be putting some of my content in audio form. I am starting the Rules Recon Report Podcast, or the R3 Podcast for short.

The "Too Long, Didn't Listen" version is that I want to put the content that I think is better suited in audio form – rules reviews, discussions about game mechanics and game design, and interviews with authors about their rules – while keeping the more visual content – battle reports and information about miniatures, terrain, or painting – on the blog as posts.

Right now I am storing my podcasts on SoundCloud while I figure out which of the podcast hosting platforms to use.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Feedback is requested. I hope you like what I am trying to do.




6 comments:

  1. Hi Dale

    Just listened to your podcast which is a rare thing for me. generally, I am somebody who doesn't need background noise when I am doing something and I gave up following Henry Hyde's podcasts for that reason.
    I mainly use 'Feedly' to notify me when blogs I follow have new items up but some I link directly to.
    If I was to listen to a blog post it would need to be as short as that one or specifically about a ruleset I am interested in.
    Hope that is of some help albeit a little negative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobby, it is a help. I realize that audio is not everyone's cup of tea.

    I am not sure that the rules reviews would be that short, but the content would always be about game rules reviews, game mechanics discussions, or interviews with game designers about their rules and the design choices they made. The battle reports will always be blog posts.

    That said, if enough feedback comes back that podcasts are not my reader's preferred choice for getting the information, that is not negative, but rather positive. The people would have spoken. Most bloggers get little to no feedback as it is. Anything is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who is a podcast fan, I'll add the counter point that I prefer more content to less. A great thing about podcasts is that you can stop them at any point and they will be right there to pick back up again when you're in the mood again. And you can skip parts if you're less interested. So if you have something you want to talk about, I'd like tit to be there so I can hear it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You raise a good point about skipping portions of content. I need to make sure that I add chapters into the file so people can see where subjects start and stop.

      Delete
  4. Hello Dale

    It does sound like a great idea but I am not your target audience. I am not often in the car for more than 1-15 minutes by myself (to listen to stuff), my commute is by train and only 11 minutes and I do my only fiction reading then. I don't paint or really do activities where I can have audiobooks or podcasts in the background. I tend to nightly go through the list of blogs via feedly, my main way for gaming fix and then secondarily check forums updates. If I did have time for podcasts, unfortunately yours would compete with a list of some history ones friends have recommended and some Blakes 7 audio books I have been wanting to listen to for quite a few years now.

    Not to say what you are trying to achieve is not a good idea (it sounds like it is!) it is just is is unlikely I will get a chance to be a listener :-(

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog and Forum Pages

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Huachuca City, Arizona, United States
I am 58 yrs old now. I bought a house in Huachuca City, AZ working for a software company for the last three years. To while away the hours I like to wargame -- with wooden, lead, and sometimes paper miniatures -- usually solo. Although I am a 'rules junkie', I almost always use rules of my own (I like to build upon others' ideas, but it seems like there is always something "missing" or "wrong").