My blog about my wargaming activities. I collect a lot of 15mm miniatures for the American War of Independence and so collect a lot of rules for this period. I started miniatures with Napoleonics, so I have a number of armies in 6mm and 15mm figures for skirmishing. I have15mm WW II figures that I use for Flames of War, Memoir '44, and someday, Poor Bloody Infantry. Finally there is my on-again, off-again relationship with paper soldiers that I sometimes write about.

Wednesday, February 06, 2019

R3 Podcast Episode 02 Segment 02 Command and Control in Hail of Fire

This segment covers the Command and Control mechanics in my on-going review of the company-level WW II miniature gaming rules Hail of Fire by Brandon Fraley of Retroboom Games.

Too Long Didn't Listen version: Not your traditional IGO-UGO as each turn is broken down into multiple player phases after determining initiative. If you want to be able to move and fire with every unit every turn, you probably will not like Hail of Fire.



Next Segment: Combat mechanics in Hail of Fire

11 comments:

  1. I am enjoying listening to your podcasts. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Thank you I have just picked up a copy of this and your timing is perfect. Looking at doing the Korean War

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear your take on the hidden deployment rules. I think that is one of the best rules in the set, but Brandon tells me that he gets flak from more people than he does praise for that rules.

      Delete
  3. These can't come out fast enough :) Please do Ivan Sorensen's FiveCore Company Command, Squad Hammer, and No End In Sight (or No Stars) as I'd love to hear you talk about those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, that was my third take and I knocked it out last night/this morning.

      I think there are a lot of rules I could do. I have played No Stars in Sight (see Jan 2015 posts). I know you started doing SquadHammer, but I have not. Seeing as Ivan can use some help, and has put his material on sale, it sounds like it might be a good time to pick it up.

      I recently picked up Rommel, Black Ops, Rebels and Patriots, and Horizon Wars. (Darn Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales!) I have a lot of fodder. Plus, I have been watching all of the episodes of Little Wars TV on YouTube.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, you've got a lot to get to! ;) Also, I'm totally down to listen to you go into your back catalog, use your older posts as notes for an episode, and also give an update on how your feelings may have evolved since.

      Delete
    3. That is definitely on the list as my tastes have evolved over time. I just have to beat the Southern drawl out of me!

      Delete
    4. I don't hear the accent at all. And I can't imagine anyone would care when it comes out either.

      Delete
  4. I am already a soundcloud user, though I cannot remember why (There must have something I wanted to listen to a few years ago). The podcasts are short enough for me to listen to while walking to the train. I am enjoying them. If you keep them under about 7 minutes, I believe I will be a listener! This is despite me saying it was unlikely in a previous post :-) But I can handle 7 minutes on the walk from home to the train via soundcloud.

    And your accent is fine and a broader one I think would be fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog and Forum Pages

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Huachuca City, Arizona, United States
I am 58 yrs old now. I bought a house in Huachuca City, AZ working for a software company for the last three years. To while away the hours I like to wargame -- with wooden, lead, and sometimes paper miniatures -- usually solo. Although I am a 'rules junkie', I almost always use rules of my own (I like to build upon others' ideas, but it seems like there is always something "missing" or "wrong").